Judges 21:1-Ruth 1:22
(1)(2011) Ruth is a great story-perhaps my favorite:
But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.”John 4:4-42
(1)(2011) I've been hearing again (in some recent teaching) about the false "spiritual-physical" dichotomy. Plato saw the physical body as some sort of prison & Sproul has commented on the strains of Plato & Manicheism in Augustine's writings.
However, the false dichotomy I think I'm detecting is critical of Christians who are too "heavenly-minded" rather than earthly. I've found this admonishment among those people & ministers who seem discontented by their congregations' lack of activism. Their sermons (for the most part) seem bent on mobilizing their charges to extending themselves beyond their immediate & obvious duties (i.e. to serving those outside their families, beyond the Church).
My understanding is perhaps more medieval (as Lewis & Tolkien might view it) in its "cosmology" and hierarchy: Earth derives from the Heavens.
Here Jesus points to the superior benefit of "living water":
Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”Psalm 105:1-15
Proverbs 14:25
Years Read
2011
No comments:
Post a Comment