Click here for today's text.
Genesis 41:17-42:17
Matthew 13:24-46
(1) "All these things Jesus said to the crowds in parables; indeed, he said nothing to them without a parable" (13:34) - I've heard some say that story is validated by Christ's use of parables; it was the Master's very own method of teaching great truths.
However, vs 35 tells why he spoke this way: "This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the prophet:
I will open my mouth in parables;
I will utter what has been hidden
since the foundation of the world
Which comes from Psalm 78; one of the longer psalms explaining the hardness of heart of the Israelites who forgot the wonders God had shown their fathers during the Exodus.
We are to teach "the glorious deeds", "his might", "the wonders he has done" to our children.
Why?
"That they should set their hope in God, that they should not forget the works of God but keep his commnandments" (Ps 78:7)
This, parents are assured, is what prevents the "stubbornness ... rebellion ... and faithless hearts".
(2012) See how parents, fathers, were to teach the next generation:
I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter hidden things, things from of old—
3 what we have heard and known,
what our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done.
(2012) Matthew 13 continues:
34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet:
“I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”
Psalm 18:1-15
Proverbs 4:1-6
Years Read
2009, 2012, 2013, 2025
No comments:
Post a Comment