Monday, April 21, 2025

April 21

Click here for today's text.

Joshua 22:21-23:16
1. (2011) I find myself grasping at those verses (and Henry's commentary on them) which seem like antidotes to pop-trendy evangelical 1st-order concerns: social justice, poverty, animal rights & so forth.

Injustice and poverty are tragic conditions which must be acknowledged, our "local" faithfulness & godliness in our immediate lives must be paramount. I suppose back in the 80's it was trendy to begin with "the man in the mirror". Now we're given prescriptions as to what should be our moral concerns.

Someone said, its much easier to discuss great matters over which we have little influence than to address our own personal integrity, homes, marriages, parenting, etc. Like men who fixate their opinion on sports & world affairs speaking confidently as if they are experts on matters in which they've never born the heavy responsibility or demands of such a competitive level.
“Be very strong; be careful to obey all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, without turning aside to the right or to the left.
Anyway, Henry comments on Joshua 22:
[Joshua] dismisses them with good counsel, not to cultivate their ground, fortify their cities, and, now that their hands were inured to war and victory, to invade their neighbours, and so enlarge their own territories, but to keep up serious godliness among them in the power of it. They were not political but pious instructions that he gave them, v. 5. 1. In general, to take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law. Those that have the commandment have it in vain unless they do the commandment; and it will not be done aright (so apt are we to turn aside, and so industrious are our spiritual enemies to turn us aside) unless we take heed, diligent heed.

Luke 20:27-47
(1) (2011) Children of the Resurrection:
Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[a] 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

Psalm 89:14-37
1.(2013) The faithfulness of the Lord. He seals his covenant in Christ:
I will maintain my love to him forever,
and my covenant with him will never fail.
29 I will establish his line forever,
his throne as long as the heavens endure.

30 “If his sons forsake my law
and do not follow my statutes,
31 if they violate my decrees
and fail to keep my commands,
32 I will punish their sin with the rod,
their iniquity with flogging;
33 but I will not take my love from him,
nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.
34 I will not violate my covenant
or alter what my lips have uttered.
35 Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness—
and I will not lie to David—
36 that his line will continue forever
and his throne endure before me like the sun;
37 it will be established forever like the moon,
the faithful witness in the sky.”


Proverbs 13:17-19
(2013) 13:19 - A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul,
but fools detest turning from evil.


Years Read
2011, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment